Friday, August 29, 2008

Getting back in the groove

I completed 20 days of Raja Yoga, with the main intent of establishing the habit. I then intended to build from this to a next stage. The long term goal is to continue building on each stage until I be 'where I want to be' in the daily/regular practice of magic.

Analysis of the 20 days.

Good things:
  1. I intended to do only 10 minutes a day, but quickly took it to 20 minutes (for about 15 of the 20 days).

  2. I quickly reversed a temptation to pile other goals on the original goal. This prevented setting myself up for failure.

  3. At the beginning of the period, I read of breathing techniques used by Crowley. I incorporated a version of this into the practice and it was a great success.

  4. A journal was kept for all days of the period.

Bad things:
  1. Failure is likely to occur on days that are not 'routine'. In other words, days that are not work days and find me at home in the evening.

  2. I did skip one day near the end, and it was due to alcohol and other bad choices.

  3. At the first sign of success, I started to pile other goals onto the original goal (see related 'good thing' above).

  4. Once the 20 days was up, I stopped. This was not my original intent. The cause of failure is two-fold. First, the first day off practice was also the first of many days living outside normal routine. Second, I had no formally stated plan for what to do next.

  5. Journal entries were often delayed to the next day. They should have been done just after the end of each Yoga exercise.

The next thing to do is outline the next stage and start it. This will be done now.

No comments: