Sunday, September 12, 2004

Magpies and Tossing Cookies

It was one of those Sunday mornings when I woke up early and restless. There was no going back to sleep, no soaking in the tub, and no resting on the porch. So I hopped on the bike and went to the track. I wasn't alone. I was sharing the track the local ROTC as they put two of their guys through physical testing.

About halfway through my run they started on a 2 mile timed run. One guy took off fast then slowed down to about my speed. He finished in 15:00 minutes. The other guy started off slower, but kept a good pace. At the start of the last lap he sped up. Big mistake. Only a quarter lap out he started throwing up. It probably added 30 seconds to his time. But I have to admire him, pushing himself that hard.

Also toward the end of the run, a single Magpie swooped across the field and lighted on the east bleachers. He was big and beautiful. About a half lap later the other Magpie flew in. Always in pairs. It was a good start to the day.

No comments: